Ultimate Spin #62: Interview w/ Miles Morales author Jason Reynolds! – PODCAST
Listen to the show (may take a few seconds to load):
Ultimate Spin looks at a different strand of Spider-Man’s web, namely the ones belonging to Miles Morales, the young man who’d inherited the mantle of great power and responsibility following the death of Peter Parker in Marvel’s Ultimate Spider-Man series, and Spider-Gwen Stacy, an alternate take on the blonde bombshell wherein she took of the mantle of Spider-Woman after Peter Parker’s death.
Whether you’ve been following Miles since he was introduced in 2011 or if you’ve just entered the Spider-Man comics world with Spider-Gwen, the Ultimate Spin the podcast for you.
Ultimate Spin features an international group of Spider-Man fans reviewing and discussing the stories in those two series, as well as chatting about the history of the Ultimate Spider-Man series and what the future has in store for Miles and Gwen.
We’re very proud to bring you this exclusive interview with award winning author JASON REYNOLDS, writer of the New York Times bestselling novel Miles Morales: Spider-Man!
Given the current state of affairs, this is a timely book that lends itself to good conversation about tough topics. In this episode, Jason shares his insight on writing for someone else’s character and finding a way to put his own stamp on it. We get into how the book considers big ideas like identity, truth, family, courage, the need for masks, and of course, power and responsibility. We also learn how all of us have the power of Spidey-Sense, and discuss how in this day and age, it’s more important than ever to get into “good trouble.”
This was such an interesting and wide-ranging conversation with a talented and generous writer. We hope that you enjoy this interview!
Stuff that we’d mentioned in this episode:
- Yale School of Medicine: Implicit bias may help explain high preschool expulsion rates for black children
- This American Life: Is This Working?
- Prison Industrial Complex and School to Prison Pipeline
- Jefferson Davis
- Miles Davis
- Ganke…or Genki?
- “We Wear The Mask” by Paul Laurence Dunbar
- Congressman John Lewis; Also: March (graphic novel autobiography)
- Black Panther by Ta-Nahesi Coates
- Mockingbird by Chelsea Cain
- Man-Thing by RL Stine
- Jason’s upcoming books:
- Recommended Reads:
- Cover artist: Kadir Nelson
- Miles Morales: Spider-Man‘s third week on NYT Young Adult Fiction Bestseller List
- Kirkus Review of Miles Morales: Spider-Man
- Superior Spider-Talk Review of Miles Morales: Spider-Man
You can find Jason at:
MAJOR THANKS to Jason for taking the time out of his busy schedule to chat with us!
- Ultimate Spin at iTunes
- Ultimate Spin at Stitcher
- Ultimate Spin at Google Play
- Ultimate Spin at Facebook
- Twitter: @theultimatespin
- Ultimate Spin at Instagram
Thanks for listening! We’d love to hear from you! Send us your comments at firstname.lastname@example.org!