Listen to the show (may take a few seconds to load):
Ultimate Spin looks at a different strand of Spider-Man’s web, namely the ones belonging to Miles Morales, the young man who’d inherited the mantle of great power and responsibility following the death of Peter Parker in Marvel’s Ultimate Spider-Man series, and Spider-Gwen Stacy, an alternate take on the blonde bombshell wherein she took of the mantle of Spider-Woman after Peter Parker’s death.
Whether you’ve been following Miles since he was introduced in 2011 or if you’ve just entered the Spider-Man comics world with Spider-Gwen, the Ultimate Spin the podcast for you.
Ultimate Spin features an international group of Spider-Man fans reviewing and discussing the stories in those two series, as well as chatting about the history of the Ultimate Spider-Man series and what the future has in store for Miles and Gwen.
In this episode, Kyle, Brian and Jack catch up on meeting creators at NYCC, speculate on the upcoming Miles & Gwen crossover, share listener thoughts on writers’ experiences and *that* scene in Spider-Man #8, and preview next year’s Miles YA novel before discussing the spooktacular Halloween story that’s Spider-Gwen #13.
- 0:00 – Intro
- 1:36 – Kyle visits New York, but did anyone understand him? Meeting the creators (and appreciating their generosity). Which guest artist is returning to Spider-Gwen?
- 7:32 –Miles and Gwen: The Great Romance? Or not?
- 11:33 –A reader shares a personal response to Luke Cage telling Miles to not screw up being a POC hero in Spider-Man #8. Would the reaction be different if we didn’t know what Bendis looked like?
- 16:00 –Sneak peek at next year’s “Miles Morales”, his young adult novel debut by award-winning author Jason Reynolds
- 19:51 –Spider-Gwen #13: A Scooby-Doo style mystery quickly goes from cool to creepy. Getting into Gwen’s head (again). Jack hates Halloween, but we all love Betty.
- 33:26 – Our three-word summaries (Spoiler: Brian’s is the best). What do *you* think of issue #13? Let us know!
- 35:58 – Outro. Want to write reviews for Superior Spider-Talk? Get in touch with the team! Looking forward (sort of) to November.
- 40:10 – ???
Brian and Kyle finally meet at NYCC 2016
Some generous NYCC 2016 sketches for Adam from Robbi Rodriguez and Rico Renzi
Spider-Gwen #13 costume designs from Jason Latour (via Twitter)
Stuff that we mentioned in this episode:
- Review of Spider-Gwen #13 at Superior Spider-Talk
- Superior Spider-Talk is looking for Miles reviewers!
- Look who’s returning to Spider-Gwen!
- Fin Fang Foom
- January Solicits for Miles and Gwen
- Brian’s Spider-Man #8 review
- Author Jason Reynolds
- Announcement of Miles novel
- Rocket Racer
- Scooby Doo opening credits (the eyes!)
- Michael Jackson’s Thriller
- Nolte or Busey?
Also check out:
- Kyle on Twitter
- Jack on Twitter; Jack’s show: Inter-Comics Podcast
- Brian’s site
- Our opening theme courtesy of Chris Postill at Sounds Like An Earful
Thank you for listening! We’d love to hear from you: Send us your comments at email@example.com! If you send us an mp3 with a comment or question, we’ll feature it in the show!